Popular Posts

Thursday 5 November 2015

It's lunchtime let's play around with some Electron!

I've recently discovered a very cool tool for creating cross platform desktop apps.

Say hello to my little powerful friend, Electron



Basically in a nutshell you use web technologies, for example html, css, javascript, build a mini app, port it into a folder structure for Electron, then bob's not my uncle, I have a working desktop app!

Things that I've noticed about it


1. Ease of use

I'm honestly surprised at how easy it was/is to create a so called desktop app using web technologies.

2. Bug Fixing

Using Electron is so easy, if anything does go wrong, it wont be Electron, you may have something wrong in your code, after all Electron only uses what you give it.

3. Capabilities

Since Electron uses Node to compile and do it's thing, the sky is really not the limit, electron really makes desktop app building so easy using Node you can obviously use Node packages to build your app and make it one mean working machine/app.

4. Lunch is short

I need a longer lunch so I can create a more in depth articles on Electron! Perhaps I'll do some more testing and building once I get home.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment